Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Thing 18

My thoughts about tagging are mixed. I think I am one of those amateurs that may over tag or not tag enough. I am one of those file savers that have difficulty remembering where I save what. I have to say I just started this year with using folders to organize my pictures and document files and for the most part it works at least when my memory works.
Some advantages are that it is a way to organize and group subjects together. If you pay attention to the way others tag it can give you some insight on how to expand your searches. Some topics may come up when searching that you might not have linked to your subject.
Some disadvantages are that there are so many different ways to tag and we don’t all think alike so we will not all tag the same. If sites have limited tags one might not find them in their search because they didn’t type in the right tags. This will take some practice and creativity. You have to try to think outside the box. How do others thing?
This can be a great tool to simplify how we create references to resources.
When making a tag you have to think of several things: The tag can be unique but memorable. It should identify your purpose without being vague. You can tag it so it goes to friends and Coworkers. (For:username) I have to practice this one more.

No comments: